Monday, September 29, 2014

The power of prayer is real

Família!

Well this week was definitely the fastest week on my mission.  If felt like I was looking at the back of my hand, then I heard a dog bark and turned my hand over.......... that is how fast me week was....yeah.. pretty fast.

I hope that I get the package tomorrow, we have our ZL meeting with President tomorrow!!  Yeah to packages!  And no it never looks like customs go through them. They look normal with the little catholic Jesuses on them kaiak.

And this was the hottest week I have thus experienced on the mission... crazy insanely HOT!  And there is no way out of it, except a shower, which brings me to another point.  We were without water this week.  We have water in the morning til about 10 but then it goes off till the next morning so we weren´t able to shower at night... that was a bummer.  But on the third day, Elder R filled up a caixa de agua (a big 500 liter water tank) with water in the morning so we are able to take bucket showers now, fun stuff. We think that we have a busted pipe because all of our neighbors have H2O so we will call someone.  Washing dishes is the worst.  

That is our caixa de agua on top of our house.
Elder Brown got up there to see if we had water and sure enought we didn´t.
So like I said we made tacos last pday and they were GOOD!  We get the same exact thing everyday so a little spicy switch up was great!  Our lunch fell on Tuesday so we attempted to make tacos again.  We didn´t have a taco mix so we just tried to use spices here but they don´t have to many mexican spices here.  They were so far from mexican tacos... so we called them Maine Tacos.

We went to the temple on Tuesday which was amazing!  Sitting in the celestial room I was just receiving revelation on what I need to change in my mission to live more righteously and have the spirit more with me.  It was great!!  The next day was pretty bad though, as we were making the tacos, nothing was going right and I was just getting mad at everything.  I was missing the comforts that we have in the states.  That day all of our appointments fell and I was not doing good.  Elder Brown noticed and said that we should go home and do our weekly planning that we missed during the morning.  We went back and I was still in a really bad mood.  Halfway through planning I told him that I just needed to say a prayer.  In the prayer I was trying to tell God why I was upset....... but I didn´t have a reason.  I asked God for help, and then I chose to be happy.  And when I got off my knees I was a new man!! It was amazing. The power of prayer is real.  

So we are still talking to a ton of people and teaching and marking dates... the problem is is that nobody comes to church!!! We had 3 dates marked for General Conference Saturday but all three fell because none of them came to church!  They always have stupid excuses. It is usually the same one "Eu passei mal ontem a noite"  it basically means that they were sick last night!  But they are fine and awake enough to answer the door! It just chaps my hide.  So we haven´t found any solid investigators yet.  That is what we are looking for, people who actually want the Gospel and who are searching for something.

We are teaching a really cool young couple who are married!!! How rare is that! About as rare as Jackson dunking a basketball!  We taught them but they are firm in the igreja universal.  We are hoping to yank them out of apostasia.  We also are teaching some goth sisters.  They really like us and they came to church!!!! What! They liked it too.   We´ve taught them a little about the Livro de Mormon but além disso not that much.  We want to teach them and their dad juntos.  

Church was great.  It was our ward conference so the choir sang and guess who played the piano... I did!  Well for one of the songs, "love is spoken here" I actually didn´t do that bad.  I hit a couple of klunkers but other than that I was fine. So boooooooys..... you know what I´m going to say, right?........  You need to ......(mom at this point in our reading gesture to the boys and wait for them to finish the phrase which is PRACTICE THE PIANO!) also we wore our suits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (see picture).


The choir decided to wear suits with red ties (I don´t have one) so we wore suits too! My second time wearing it here in brasil.  We whipped it on for the choir number and shedded it off después.  Also we planned a movie night for this Wednesday!  Our ward hasn´t had an activity since 'nam so we are helping them out!  We chose three films  ... Frozen, Wreck it Ralph, and the Lego adventure and let the members vote. They chose Frozen.  The ward is really excited because like I said... this ward doesn't do activities.  But we are going to change that.  I hope everything works out.  We just have to trust in the members that they will pull through on the things we told them to bring.  We are also planning on doing a talent show here in a few weeks.  It will be great! 

I´m doing great.  I´m loving my mission and don´t want to go home. This week I had a dream where I went home with Elder Brown´s group (3 months before I should have gone home) and I remember I was with you 2 mom and dad in the back of a convertible and we were either driving in manaus or at home I don´t remember but I remember just bawling sitting in the backseat because I wanted to go back to the mission so bad.  The dream felt so real and I was sooo sad.  It was horrible.  So I´m happy doing what I´m doing.  I know that as fun as home might be it would be miserable if I was there right now. 

Words from Elder Ostler:  develop your talents.  Take time to get better at the things you like, whatever it may be.  uke, magic tricks, bull fighting, computer hacking, PIANO (obrigatório), LAX, public speaking....... quick words from me.

Mom I hope you are able to atingir your meta of steps; I believe in you:)  And thank you for that trunkitizing count down.... kaka I´m just kidding.  I´m glad your excited that I´m coming home not very soon but I still got work to do:)  I love all of you, talk to ya next week!!


Elder Ostler

No comments:

Post a Comment